17 October 2010

A tiring end to the weekend

What a busy weekend! I was still tired from Friday night as well as Saturday. This weekend has been very busy, which is something I rather like. For me, free time does not exist. There is always an obligation (un devoir) that I must work on. Reading, spending time in the Word, praying, practicing violin, preparing lesson plans, etc. This year, as I'm applying to graduate schools, applications are also a priority. Don't get me wrong though. Busyness energizes me. It can be tiring, but there is always some kind of reward that you can glean from your work-- the fruits of your labor. That is what I seek in my work.

Juliette Kabadana arrived very late to pick me up for church as is usually the case. So we showed up late... again. I suppose I will have to get used to this, considering it will be predictable that she will be late. That's another thing: I am incredibly monochromatic in the sense that the time is very important. It's an organizing center on which I can rely from day to day. People of African-descent or origin do not follow this strict adherence to time. They come from a poly-chronic culture that stretches time to whatever circumstance. It is somewhat frustrating, but then again, I just have to go with the flow. (It was rather amazing that I made it through three hours of prayer on Friday, seeing as there were no time constraints. They ended at 5:00am.) In any case, church went well. Kambo (George), who was from Angola (and the leader of the Night of Prayer), preached the Word. His accent is very amusing, but I was able to follow better this time.

After church, I went to Juliette's house with her husband Pascal. I spent the entire afternoon there. Needless to say, I was famished by the time 14:00 came around. Juliette prepared the meal. We had appetizers. I had several glasses of cider and one glass of rose wine. Then, by the time we actually ate lunch at 16:00, I was so hungry that I had a bad headache. It was awful. I ate as much as I could, but the headache ruined the experience. I'm guessing it was a combination of fatigue and hunger. The food was very good; don't get me wrong. But fatigue and hunger, as well as a decalage in the eating schedule made things a lot harder. I thanked Juliette for her meal and for showing me her house. She's a wonderful lady, and I'm so thankful that God has brought her into my life and has provided me with the means to attend a Protestant church on Sunday (even if it is much more Pentecostal than I'm used to).

The week before vacation begins tomorrow. I have the topic of each lesson selected for the entire week. (It follows a pattern; it's not as if I'm making up 12-14 different lessons.) It should be good. I'm amazed at how the Lord is sustaining me as I teach. I've never felt anxious or nervous before addressing my classes. That reality is somewhat strange. But I'm grateful for it. A la prochaine (Until next time.) I wish all my readers a good week. May the Lord bless you and keep you.

No comments:

Post a Comment