13 October 2010

And there was warmth!

Mayenne does not normally see temperatures of above 75 degrees, but today it got very warm. A sweater was too much to wear on such a warm, sunny day. (I'm still a fan of sweater weather.)

My day started early. I had an 8:00am class. No. I don't like to think about 8:00am classes and how they have marred my ability to concentrate or focus. Anyway, I went to the school around 7:25am in the dark. I arrived at my school, met the kind gentleman at the acceuil to get my key for room C1 and went to the Salle des Professeurs, where I prepared my lesson. I arrived early at my classroom and set up the PowerPoint. This morning, I had a class of 1eres (juniors). They were very quiet and shy and had to have me push them into saying anything. It was somewhat frustrating. They were kind, considerate, and paid attention, but they wouldn't respond when I asked them questions. Dead silence... I showed videos for Columbus Day, pictures, etc. In any case, it was a long period, and it finally ended at 8:55am.

I returned to the Salle des Professeurs and got my morning coffee, black as the night. Within minutes, I felt ready to work with the next class with some more energy. The next morning class was also with the 1eres but with literature students. Yes! Now, I can impart my knowledge of English literature and get them to talk! They're bookworms! There were only four out of five present today. All girls. Again kind. Only one would talk for the rest of them. Again, my challenge becomes: how to I get the rest of them to talk? It'll come, bit by bit in time.

No classes in the afternoon, so I went back home, had lunch (boudin-- black pudding; bread; and yogurt). I had to take a short nap to recover from this morning. Later, Nathy and I took Amboline to her dance lesson and then we went to Intersport so that I could buy a maillot de bain (swim suit) and lunettes de plongee (goggles). There's a swimming pool close to home, where I can swim laps regularly. We did find some swimming trunks but they were made of lycra (which stretches) and were very short, European style. I say no more. (Guy readers know what I'm talking about.) After that, I got some things sorted out at the bank and came home.

This evening, I plan to read the rest of Diderot's philosophical discussion, "Le Neveu de Rameau," work on my writing sample a bit more, read passages in my French bible and do a comparison search in my ESV, and watch a French series on France 3. Some work but always some fun intermingled.

No comments:

Post a Comment