04 October 2010

First day in the Lycee

Today marks my first day of teaching English in Mayenne.  I arrived at the Lycee Lavoisier at 8h45 and went to the Salle des Professeurs (faculty room).  I had a USB with my PowerPoint presentation ready for the students.  My first class was with the Terminales (seniors).  It was a very small group of students (about 8) and they were very attentive.  I presented my PowerPoint and everyone was rather interested.  I showed my family, brothers, town, state, etc.  in images on the screen.  The students would ask questions and the professor helped facilitate the conversation.  I would write on the board the difficult words and expressions.  The students were engaged and enjoyed asking me things about life in America and in particular, Georgia.  This was enjoyable.

In the other class, I had the secondes (sophomores).  They were quiet and attentive but not as active in the discussion.  I presented my PowerPoint and they seemed to like it.  Meanwhile, they didn't ask too many questions.  I do get the feeling that I will have to engage them, either by calling on them by name during class or by playing games with them.  In any case, it should work out well in the end.  All the students I have met today have been very friendly and cheerful.  I think I'm gonna like this teaching gig.  :)

Wednesday I have my stage d'accueil (orientation) with the Academie (school district)  in Nantes.  Lots of administrative and procedural matters to follow.  But should be fun all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment