04 October 2010

Arrival in Mayenne

Today marks the end of my first week ever in France.  I was so excited to arrive albeit incredibly tired from the long journey from Ringgold, GA to Mayenne, France.  Getting used to everything in French was not too much of a problem.  I can definitely thank Middlebury and Covenant for that.  My French has since taken off to new heights.  On the 28 September, I arrived in Charles De Gaulle airport.  I got my passport stamped at the Controle des passports and took my bag to the Car Air France (bus service from the airport).  I paid 16,5 euros to traverse the Parisian city to the very big Gare Montparnasse.  The train station was incredibly busy with hurried travelers and business people from all over.  There were very large affiches (signs) with travel times and 14 voies (or train tracks).  Apprehensive of my surroundings, I looked for a window where I could buy my ticket and Carte 12-25 (for reductions in the train ticket prices).  I bought my Carte 12-25 and a ticket at 21 euros for the TGV (Train Grande Vitesse), the high-speed train to Laval.  It was thrilling watching the affiche and then walking hurriedly to the second track (voie).  I looked at my ticket and saw that the final destination was going to Rennes and proceeded to board.  Carrying my 49.5lb. bag was not so easy, but I made it in time.  The train ride was smooth and enjoyable.  I finally arrived in Laval around 15h45.  I waited on my contact person to arrive, Marc Esnault from the high school, Lycee Lavoisier.  He arrived and took me to the Griffon family's house in Mayenne.  Marc speaks English with a British accent and likes many of the bands I do, U2, Vampire Weekend, the National, etc.  We got to the Griffon's house.  Everyone was so welcoming and kind.  The kids were sweet and showed me around.  Lilian, the younger son, connected me to the Internet.  The mother, Nathy, fixed dinner for us, which was very delicious and simple.  Just the way the French like to eat.  Soon, thereafter, I checked email and went to sleep for 12 hours (after having lost so much sleep with the trip over the pond.)  My arrival in Mayenne was a great success.

No comments:

Post a Comment