11 October 2010

Half and half day

First day of the week, Monday. We all dread Monday, especially after the rest and relaxation of the weekend. Fortunately for me, I was able to sleep in a little (past 8:45am) and got my lesson plan ready for 11am. Got to school and went to my room, only to realize that no one was there! My first class of the day (11am) had to be canceled. A little livid, I went to Marc Esnault, English teacher, and talked to him about it. Apparently, the students had thought that the class would be scheduled for the next week. Oh well! So I got to see 1/2 of my classes today.

Returning home for lunch, I grabbed the leftovers which were designated for me: Beef burgundy with pasta, fresh bread, yogurt, and a vanilla custard. I went back up to my room and laid down for a few minutes and then prepared my lesson a bit better than before. I also practiced my music for orchestra.

So at the very end of the day, 5pm, I taught for my class of terminale students (or seniors). Just my luck. Only 4 out of the 10 showed up (less than 1/2). We had a pretty good conversation. I showed my intro PowerPoint and talked about Columbus Day with a video from the History Channel and a creative poem that talks about the Nina, Pinta, and the Santa Maria. As for the students, they were obviously kind of ansy; it was after all, the end of the school day. Who wouldn't be tired? That might be a rough hour for English class; nevertheless, it will be important to engage the students to prevent them from falling asleep or talking throughout the lesson. I made it just in time for the bell but had to continue talking up to that point. Perhaps more activities need to be planned for each lesson to prevent such a predicament. I'll learn. It was my first real lesson.

At the end of the day, I went to Marc Esnault, who took me to the Registrar's office (CPE). We talked it over and thought that perhaps our time should be changed to better suit the students. We'll see what works and what doesn't. Trial and Error. That's the name of the game.

Tomorrow is the greve or the general strike that will be happening all over France. I will not expect to see many students at school, if any. Just have to go with the flow and take advantage of it (profiter)!

Indeed, a half and half day, just like the milk (half-creamed) that I drink with my cereal every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment