30 October 2010

Arrival in the City of Lights

Yesterday, I took the TGV from Laval to Paris in 1h35. It was a cool and yet beautiful day in the Ile-de-la-Cite. It was warmer than I expected. I had brought along my wool peacoat. Montparnasse was crazy busy. I had to stand in line for about twenty minutes to get to a ticket machine for the Metro. I bought a set of 10 tickets for 12 euros (un carnet). Then, I began almost instantly an easy, agile navigation through the world-famous Paris Metropolitain, taking Metro Line 12 in the direction of Porte de la Chapelle. I got off at Sevres-Babylone and switched lines to the Metro Line 1 in the direction of Gare d'Austerlitz and I got off at Cluny-Sorbonne. I looked around to find my way and soon was able to find the Sorbonne, the world famous university. I took a picture of the building and walked along on my way, circling around the Latin Quarter (university district). I then saw the Pantheon, large site that is a staple of the University of Paris system. (I paid about 5 euros to see it, fee reduced for students.) Inside this massive church-like building, I saw Foucault's Pendulum and monuments of fallen writers in the Revolution. I rested for a little bit inside and then made my way down the Avenue Saint Michel to browse shops. There was one that stood out to me, a Philosophy bookstore right across from the Pantheon. I browsed a little bit and then proceeded to Notre Dame. On the way, I grabbed a coffee at a Starbucks and then headed toward the cathedral.

Little did I know, a mass was going on inside and admission was free. So I decided to listen to the mass in French for about an hour. The music and chants were gloriously beautiful with organ and a soprano leading the hymns. There was something so amazing about the lamps and the rosary windows in the evening. Enchanting. A small congregation was there for the Friday evening mass, but there was a large visitor space to sit down and listen to the mass. As the cathedral was about to close, I headed over to light a candle in memory of my late grandfather who died suddenly two years ago. I prayed over the flame and proceeded to meet my friend Johan outside the cathedral.

We went back to Johan's apartment in the 20e arrondissement on a quiet street, talked, watched a show called Qui va epouser mon fils? (Who will marry my son?), laughed, and had some dinner before heading to bed. Johan is a nice chap. I enjoy talking to him both in French and English. I look forward to hanging out with him this long weekend of Toussaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment