12 October 2010

Another strike, another day!

The planned strike today was not altogether hurtful to the progress of the classes. I had a full day to read and relax. Then, I left for the school around 4pm to see Madame Bouttier at the middle school. We talked about potential topics for the next several weeks. I'm most likely going to focus on holidays-- Halloween and Thanksgiving, for example, while also using games. After discussing plans, I left for the high school with my laptop and worksheets.

The evening class went better than expected. I saw the same group today as last week, the secondes. Eight out of ten showed up! Such a pleasant surprise! I finally got to show them my PowerPoint with information and photos about me so that the students could understand where I come from, etc. Then, I started my lesson on films. I gave out a handout explaining how to describe a film with information about characters, plot, screenplay, etc. Then, I showed video clips from famous American movies-- Roxanne, Titanic, The Prestige, Twilight, and Sherlock Holmes. After each movie, we had a mini-discussion. Using the worksheet, each student described certain aspects of the film, parts they liked, etc. The secondes talked more than I thought they would. Yet, I still had to push them a little bit. It is hard, though, because the end of the day is perhaps the worse time to be a classroom after a long day. Everyone is tired and their attention span is less. Next week, a game is in order. Each person will talk about his or her favorite film, describing it using the list of adjectives. We will also talk about favorite actresses. Perhaps a charades game would work... hmmmm.

Upon returning home, I practiced violin. Manon and Amboline, the two younger children, came up to hear me practice. They were enthralled with my playing. They said: A la vache! (literally; oh the cow! or wowzers!) Both are looking forward to my orchestra concert this Saturday. After practice, we had dinner. Tonight, the galettes with sausage. Yum! So good. I had to have another. While I was eating dinner, a neighbor lady came in to pick up some boudin (black pudding) and sausage. She told me that she knows a young man (19 years old) who plays in the same orchestra and said that perhaps we could get to know one another one day. She thought that my project in France sounds courageux (or courageous). I told her that I felt very much at ease here and that I am meeting so many people and that it is great.

Things are gradually falling into place. Today marks my fifteenth day in Mayenne, and time is passing rather quickly. The Toussaint holidays begin a week from this Friday. During that time, I will go to Nantes for the Christian youth gathering, Paris to see some friends, and Saint Malo and Saint Michel to see the famous city on an island. Perhaps I will also pay a visit to one of the many chateaux in the Loire Valley.

Let the adventure begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment