14 October 2010

Disrespect from the invisible class

My class of terminales deliberately missed my English language class today after having been forewarned by an email message from the administration that attendance would be obligatory. What seems to make matters worse is the fact that these students are not getting a grade in any of my classes, making the temptation to skip a much more favorable option. This perhaps explains why they decided to skip so late in the afternoon. My class started at 16h, an unseemly hour to teach, in my opinion (17h is even worse.). It is frustrating to be disrespected by a class I don't even know. But, one thing, I must realize: it was totally and completely out of my control. There was nothing I could do. Disciplinary action will have to come from the administration. And that I have asked for. They have promised me that it will be taken care of rather quickly and that we will most likely make up the course (making it possibly two hours next week.) Am I upset? Maybe a little. Perhaps more disrespected than anything else.

My role as assistant is not particularly respected. I get paid a lowly salary, only work 12 hours a week, and I'm not qualified to teach full-time. The students realize this, since I come in after they have already been in school for a whole month. They know I'm not a full prof. So they take advantage of assistants, whether the assistants realize it or not. When I'm with the class, I have to be in full control. Outside of class, though, I have no control over what happens. That is why I must be patient and take everything as it comes. It's hard to keep trusting sometimes when I feel that I cannot control external circumstances. But it's at those moments, I have to realize who's in control: the God of the Universe. God will always be in control, even when the going gets tough. He has predestined all things to pass and knows what will happen and when. He will strengthen and empower me, even when I feel weak. And everything will work out in the unfolding of his plan.

Tonight I get to go to bible study again in Mayenne. I'm looking forward to it. Worship and fellowship always seems to heal wounds that we acquire over time. I will give the Lord all the glory, my all in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment