07 October 2010

Oh, what a beautiful day.

It finally became sunny and warm today after almost a whole week of wet and dreary weather.  Mayenne glimmered with Frenchness as it basked in the sun.  Today, the students had a strike (greve) and many did not come to school.  They were protesting the upcoming legislation that will, in effect, change the retirement age to 62.  The school was nearly empty the whole day.  After having a quiet, slower-paced day at school, starting with eating at the self (cafeteria)  and then giving two classes, I made my way into the city centre noticing all the boulangeries that line the streets and different stores.  I did the typical French thing:  faire la leche vitrine (window-shopping)  and stopped and got my Carte Bleu VISA (debit card) from the bank.  I was looking for another sweater to add to my set as I realized it would become very cold soon.  So I looked a little bit and then came upon the Peinturier, a clothing store for men.  I walked in and the gentleman spoke with me about the merino wool sweaters he had.  I'm into merino wool, so he showed me a couple.  I chose the gray V-neck sweater, which looked nice.  The gentleman was very friendly perhaps in  a salesman kind of way (asking if I would come see him again soon for other clothes, for example).  Nevertheless, he was kind and helpful.


So many good things seem to be happening.  It's amazing what God continues to do here!  
Tonight I went to a Bible study with people from my church.  Madame Kabandana took me to the Maison de Travail just across the bride from the downtown area.  She informed me that our/their church is an Assembly of God church.  (I had figured it had some Pentecostal roots since there was quite a bit of praying out loud, intervening, etc... aspects of worship that are a little foreign to me.)  We sang contemporary songs in French and studied the Word together in an intimate setting.  The pastor talked about John 1-- to illustrate his points about our identity in Christ.  He did very well to explain how God descended in the form of a man to identify with us so that we could be more like him and identify with him.  It was very neat.  I hadn't thought of it quite that way before, nor in French for that matter.  Madame Kabandana gave me a Sainte Bible to use and study.  Unfortunately, I had forgotten mine at home in the States.  But Madame Kabandana was so gracious to give me one of hers.  I talked with the parishioners that were there.  I told the pastor that I was very interested in attending the large reunion of young Christians in Nantes, and it looks like it will be very possible for me to go.  I will be attending the "Rassemblement Regional de Jeunesse a Nantes," which is an Assembly of God event for young people in France.  It will take place two weeks from this Saturday, the 23 October.  Our God is truly an awesome God.

I can't believe it.  I'm meeting so many people.  God is opening so many doors and giving me opportunities I couldn't have even imagined before leaving the States.  It's such a blessing to just stand back and take in these wonderful things-- walking past the boulangerie, passing by the little boutiques, seeing all the quaint buildings.  It's like my very own education sentimentale that I can take with me wherever I go.

1 comment:

  1. I just saw this link for your blog and had to check it out. So glad I did! I look forward to more stories about your adventures in Mayenne and the surrounding area. I am also loving the French lessons sprinkled around. :) Seems like you are fitting right in, but I am still praying for you in this huge adjustment.

    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete