19 December 2010

Volubilis presents Schubert Mass No. 6 in E flat major




I finally learned the name of my choral group this afternoon and evening, Volubilis, a mouth-full if you ask me. It was a beautiful day. The snow melted, clearing the roads and making it possible for Antoine and I to arrive safely and soundly in Evron, 20 km to the north. We left promptly at 13:30 to head to the Evron Basilica. It was rather cold when we arrived and on the inside of the basilica, it was freezing. Fortunately, there were pink-colored light heaters all around the stage and scattered throughout the building. The church is absolutely stunning with beautiful stain-glassed windows, dating from the 12th century, so during the feudal times in France. When I arrived, I had to go to the bathroom really bad. Ok, my strategy on hydration was to completely gorge myself with water and coffee before arriving so that I wouldn't have to drink anything during the performance. For the most part, that idea worked. I wasn't thirsty during the performance. However, I did have to go to the bathroom three times. (And it wasn't in the church either. It was in a toilet hidden right next to a feudal archway, marked "Publics WC.") Not exactly the cleanest but it served its purpose.

The choir warmed up, everyone in their coats shivering in the freezing cold church. I felt bad for the orchestra players, because anyone who knows anything about strings, knows that cold temperatures make strings go flat and can also create cracks in the instruments. For anyone, it can be miserable to play, no matter what the instrument. We managed just fine. During the rehearsal, I saw Sylvain, one of my friends from orchestra and asked if he could use my camera to take some pictures. He did and also used his professional camera with which he will provide all the members of the choir with quality photos. So I will have good ones to take home. I went to the dressing room in one of the wings of the basilica. Took off my coat and was left with only my dark grey/off-black sweater, which was all I had to keep warm. Some of the choir members were like, "you're not too cold?" shivering under mink coats. I sighed and said, "No." It must be my thick Netherlands pale skin that keeps me warm. I'm used to the cold in any case.

The concert started late (as is usual in the Mayenne, 20 minutes late at that), but with a packed house. My heart was warmed when it started and my spirits rose with each movement. For the most part, I knew the notes and most of the words in Latin. But there were definitely passages where I was unsure about the articulation of the words and synchronization with the notes. That's the tricky part with Latin texts. But then again, I only had 5 weeks to learn the piece, which in itself was a feat. It seems I'm learning to learn music quickly. Good musicianship takes certain things, though. Number one: a pencil. Listening to a recording. Attending all rehearsals, if possible. And most importantly, watching! That's what I did half the time during the concert. I watched our director, Annick, in order to receive the consonants and any tricky entrances. Sometimes, the tenors were together. Sometimes not. I did see some of them buried in their scores, which was not so encouraging. Certainly, this music requires concentration. But watching is an absolute necessity to ensure togetherness.

Now to the creme de la creme, the solos. In any mass, there are solo sections for a quartet of singers. Schubert, a truly gifted composer, created a beautiful section in the Credo movement entitled, "Et incarnatus est de Spirtu Sancto." I almost feel as if this area is a dance section in a slow 4 in which people could dance gracefully at a party. It almost reminds you of the party in the "Sound of Music," at the Von Trapp family house. So beautiful with the violoncelli leading in. The two tenor solos are absolutely out of this world, and I was so jealous that I couldn't sing them. (They're meant for professionals, of course.) And the soprano solo is clear as crystal at each melodious entrance. The baritone equally had a warm part in the quartet. These soloists are professional musicians, educated at the best music schools across France and England, and former students of Annick. In total, there were three main solo sections, but "Et incarnatus est" was my favorite.

At the end, we had a going-home kind of moment called, "Dona nobis pacem." So beautiful and exciting just to sing what means, "give us peace." Such a great way to end the mass. With love and warmth and dignity. And the mass ended peacefully with a quiet diminuendo down to a piannissimo and there was silence in the basilica for 30 seconds. Applause for a long while. One of the older guys asked me to present a flower to one of the soloists and do the bise (French kiss on the cheeks). So I presented a flower to the soprano (she's really quite beautiful and had an extensive CV in the program, having studied at the Conservatoire in Paris) and gave her the bise. Such a beautiful way to end with an appreciation of the soloists.

After the concert, I went to Annick's (our director's) house for a holiday party, complete with homemade cider, plenty of white and red wines to go around, pate, boeuf bourguignon, and other holiday desserts and such.) Elation and satisfaction.

And now, I will enjoy a week of rest and relaxation before heading to Paris with its illuminations and holiday magic.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jared, Carol King here (1st soprano section). Didin't know that you had a blog going of your experiences in France! After reading the above, I thought you'd like to know we are reprising the Schubert on Saturday 16th Feb in the Municipal Theatre at Mayenne. No orchestra this time, funding and space preclude it, but with grand piano and Sun Hee Park at the keyboard. Wishing you all the best, C.

    ReplyDelete