17 December 2010

The vacation arrives! And my host family goes to DISNEYLAND! And more snow!

Today marked the end of my teaching duties for the rest of the calendar year before the beginning of January. I was so excited, because at lunch time, I headed to the lycee and got a complete holiday meal, filled with traditional French dishes for Christmas time. I had foie gras, rolls, stuffed chicken, French cheeses to paste onto a piece of freshly baked bread, and a chocolate cake with raspberries on the side. Chocolate bars and candy, oh the fun. And yes, when I get candy with my meal, I sometimes feel like a little kid getting a toy in a Happy Meal at McDonald's (which they call, MacDo here in France). Yes, I used to love getting special surprises as a child, especially candy.

After my very lovely lunch at the lycee, I headed home to go with Emilie, Bastien's girlfriend, to Leclerc (a giant supermarket) to find foodstuff gifts for the host family. We ended up picking out a gift basket with coffee, hot chocolate, chocolate truffles, etc. for Nathy and Pascal, my host parents. We went in together to get these. And then, for the children, I decided to buy a box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates nicely presented in a tin that they will be able to share. Emilie told me that the children adore these chocolates. Score. I finished my Christmas shopping for the season. And then, I entrusted Emilie to wrapping them for me... (Yeah, I don't trust my wrapping skills. They're really horrendous sometimes. Plus, I was just lazy.)

This afternoon, I went to a meeting for the London trip, which went well, except I got a little bored. I know hardly anything about London. So I've never been, and I had no ideas about activities we could do with the kids while on the trip. So I found it was almost a waste of time. Nevertheless, I don't have to pay a dime for the trip, because I'm a chaperone (accompagnateur). Nice perk to assistantship in France, huh?!

I returned home to listen to music, complete my graduate school applications, etc. I submitted the applications for Brown and Illinois this afternoon. I also sent off the audio recording in the mail to the United States for Brown's application. I'm in high hopes that I will be going to Brown (in Providence, Rhode Island) next year. Meanwhile, I got an interesting email from an Illinois professor encouraging me to apply (after I had submitted; she must have not known) and looking forward to reading my application. This was the same professor who said that my research interests were almost exactly in line with hers and another professor at Illinois. So it looks like Illinois could be a choice that could be just as good as Brown. Who knows? Only the Lord at the moment.

Dinner this evening was good. We had meat (salami, ham, and other cold cuts), cheese, and potatoes. We cooked the meat and fondued the cheese over a heater/stove/oven thing that they use frequently in the Alps. Delicious and enjoyable.

Tomorrow, my host family heads to Disneyland for an all day affair, perhaps in the snow. I chose not to go first of all because of the cost factor and second, we have Disney Parks in the US that probably are better. Why experience Disney in France when you can experience the real thing in the US? It's almost the same attractions. Disney is Disney no matter where you go.

Here in Mayenne, I stay tomorrow, do some more Christmas browsing at the shops, resting, and a bit of reading. I'm trying to get into the Christmas spirit. Downloading some Christmas music should help. The Christmas present I long for: to see my family, will be here before I know it. Being away from my parents this far and long has shown me a true appreciation for family. I'm excited to get a hug for the first time in three months. (Hugs are not in vogue here, as I've mentioned.) It's going to be really special in a great place, Paris. Ah, vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment