15 December 2010

A terrible day in Nantes but I got my visa stamped and validated!

I'm just going to go right out and say it. My visit to Nantes really sucked. It was freezing cold and I had to find my way around in the cold to get to my medical appointment. A couple mishaps made this lightning fast visit miserable. At the beginning, I was able to meet a group of female assistants from Laval (an area right near me), which was helpful seeing as I could walk around with them and help them find the place where we were going, which was the OFII (French Office of Immigration). It was nice to simply walk around and go shopping. Of course, I was surrounded by a bunch of females, who just loved to spend two hours in a shopping center, time that I would much rather have spent in a cafe, brasserie, or restaurant, sipping a glass of espresso and eating a French meal. Nonetheless, I gave in and let the females do their "shopping" or rather looking and trying-on, mostly without buying. Ladies, of course you know what I'm talking about. Meanwhile, I did my own shopping and found presents for my dad and my brother who's in the Air Force at H&M, a nice clothing store in Nantes (which is also very popular in the United States). Happy to have found my presents, I left with the girls and we proceeded to buy tickets for the tramway. We bought them out of a machine right in front of where you board the tram. I bought two just in case, not realizing that they expire exactly one hour after purchase.

Nevertheless, I didn't foresee what an ordeal not having the ticket validated would become. The girls boarded and apparently, validated or composted (time-stamped) their ticket right before I boarded and I didn't see. So I assumed you had to compost afterwards. The controleur (or conductor) came up to me and I showed him the unstamped ticket. I said, "Sir , I forgot to stamp my ticket. I didn't mean to and didn't know when to stamp it." He said, "let me see your card." I showed him a driver's license. We got off at the next stop. I then proceeded to show him my rail reduction card. Next, he wrote me a ticket for 33 euros for not validating the ticket. I felt incredibly humiliated and embarrassed, maybe a little angry that the girls didn't tell me that you had to validate the ticket right before the tram left the station. Apparently, most French people would have made a scene and then filed a complaint to avoid paying for the ticket, but I was in no mood to do so. I just followed orders and paid with my debit card on the spot, without question. Very American of me-- following the authority. I hardly ate anything afterwards because I was so upset over being publicly humiliated by the transportation authorities in Nantes.

The medical visit was fortunately much more enjoyable. I had to get an x-ray of my lungs, which are perfectly healthy as I do not smoke and take care of myself. I talked to the medical doctor about my eating habits and exercise (which as of yet, has consisted of swimming regularly at the pool-- "the perfect sport" in the opinion of the doctor). After this, I waited to get my passport stamped to officially validate my visa, stating that I am indeed welcome in France for the next several months (or until August). The lady finishing the validation also explained the procedure of renewal in case I do return to France next year as a student, for example. I would have to go and see the Prefecture and provide an acceptance letter from a French university to do so. Perhaps that will happen. Anyway, it's done and I can stay in France until August and then renew two months in advance, if I intend to return next year.

Coming back, I got sick with a virus that infected my entire system. I found my way to the train station in Nantes sans probleme, fortunately. But I was freezing, had a headache, and felt that I had a running temperature. At the very least, the trip home was agreeable. The TGV train ride of 35 minutes went fine and then a bus ride home got me home around 7:15pm. And then I had to wait an hour for my host mother to arrive to pick me up from the train station. By the time I finally reached home, I was ready for a tea and sleep, which I promptly took care of.

This week, I have been talking to the sophomores and juniors about superheroes and sidekicks. I think they've been enjoying the topic. I thought it was a pretty exciting topic to discuss. The British Council seems to be providing me with the ideas I need to produce a good lesson that can be enjoyed by most, if not all, the students in the class. That is encouraging. I will return to their site often for further resources in the future, if need be. The vacation is two days away. I cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment