04 December 2010

Sous le soleil exactement (Exactly under the sun)

Just a little update: we had a nice snow storm a couple days ago which actually covered the ground all over the area and made driving conditions treacherous. Today, all of that waned as the rain came and temperatures rose to 8 degrees Celcius (translation: in the 40s). So going to orchestra in the cold rain was not particularly fun. Our rehearsal lasted for three hours today exceptionally so that we could be more than adequately prepared for our concert next week. And I can tell for a fact that we will have a great concert complete with full orchestra, a Christmas story, and, of course, the basilica lit up with candlelight. I cannot wait to participate in this concert.

After the rehearsal, I went to the library and picked up the first volume of "In Remembrance of Time Past" by Proust (in French, of course) and "L'homme revolte" by Camus. These will be my reading for the next couple weeks. Then, I walked home from the library in the rain but with a parapluie (umbrella). I spent the afternoon sleeping, revising my statement of purpose for Brown, and listening music. A quiet afternoon, just the way I like it. No worries. Just relaxing. I found a song that one of my friends posted on facebook and reveled in its inherent happiness and wishfulness. It's called "Sous le soleil exactement," sung by Nouvelle Vague (1960s) actress Anna Karina. Apparently, she had quite the career in France and this song was a huge hit. The song made me want to bask in the warm sun, maybe on the beach. (The video was shot on a beach with Karina dancing on the beach). I would love to see some sunshine sometime. It's been grey for days here in Mayenne. And yes, that's where I want to be... « Sous le soleil exactement, pas à côté, par n’importe où, sous le soleil, sous le soleil exactement, juste en dessous. » (Exactly under the sun, not to the side, or anywhere else, under the sun, under the sun, right underneath.)

No comments:

Post a Comment