23 December 2010

Eagerness and anticipation: Advent.

Sleep and reading. My life for this week in a nutshell. I've been catching up on any sleep that I lost during the fall semester, and it is rather gratifying to sleep in at whatever hour I wish, even if it is 10:00 or 11:00 in the morning. Perhaps I've already mentioned that I am a gros dormeur (deep sleeper). It helps me to have at least 8h30 to 9h30 of sleep. I actually feel that I am at the optimum level after getting that much sleep. Looking at the statistics posted by the National Sleep Foundation, it seems that each individual person has a certain optimum number. Mine tends to be higher and has been at that level since I was a teenager. Funny looking back to teenage years as I am now in my twenties (early twenties, mind you, but still...).

I've been reading through the "Pensees" by Pascal, especially the proofs for the existence of God, which I savor every time. His section on the limits of human reason as well as the case for Christianity as the only religion that can work, because of Christ as the mediator through which we have access to God. The Pensees (which translate to thoughts) are profound statements, written in the form of aphorisms that touch on the most profound things in the universe. You have to really dig into them to reach into what is incomprehensible but that which we are able to know through faith. Truly amazing and remarkable.

The time is coming for my departure, and I am exceptionally excited. I booked a ticket to see "Mozart, the Rock Opera," (musical comedy) in French, on December 25, so that I'll have something to do before meeting my family at the Gare Montparnasse (the main train station for Bretagne) in Paris, 14th arrondissement, on the 26th. I do feel like a kid again, waiting for Christmas, but, in fact, it's coming to me this year. My parents will be here in just a couple days. I don't think it could get any better than this. I'm planning on giving my parents and little brother the biggest hug I've given them yet. (Intense, we're talking close to a minute of embrace! Haha.) I have my gifts wrapped and ready, including a bottle of Bordeaux rose wine that we can share (speaking of which, I need to buy cork-screw-- tire-bouchon) and enjoy as an aperitif in our hotel. With my train tickets in hand, I'm ready to go. Just have to pack my bags and then I'll be ready to head out.

Tomorrow, which is Christmas Eve, will be spent at home with the Griffon family. We'll have a Christmas Eve dinner and probably head out to the mass at the Basilica Notre Dame, which is only a few steps down the road from my house. On the 25th, I will be at the house for opening presents and then leave on my TGV at about 10am. I can't believe it's finally almost here!

No comments:

Post a Comment