18 November 2010

A spontaneous weekend

This post is mainly for my parents, seeing as I might not get to skype with them this weekend. (Well, all the rest of you can look...) Hi Mom! Hi Dad! (Waving intently)

Tomorrow: Middle School-- I'm going to try to teach my class about Thanksgiving. Here I am at 11:00pm at night and I still haven't prepared a lesson. Nuit blanche? (Late night?) I'm going to see the "Social Network" movie with the high schoolers. It will be laughable to watch it in version francaise (or in French), but whatever. I get a free ticket by going with the lycee.

After a long week with a few rough spots, I'm headed to Tours for the weekend, which is the capital of the Loire Valley and close to many of the famous chateaux in the region. My friend, another assistant from Nantes, is coming with me, and we will most likely have a great time. Jane proposed that we do something this weekend earlier this week, like going to Rennes. It was a good plan and we thought it might work. Well, Jane called the hostel and they said that there were no places. So plan B: Tours. I thought I would have to go to Paris in order to arrive in Tours, through the train system. However, there is a train that runs through Le Mans to get there and arrives within three hours. So I will take that train, which includes a correspondence in Le Mans and arrive in Tours tomorrow evening. I will be staying in a youth hostel for two nights. Saturday morning, I will meet up with Jane in Tours and we will do our sight-seeing tour of the city, including a visit to the Musee des Beaux Arts, the Chateau de Tours, Cathedrale Saint Martin, wandering through beautiful gardens, etc. Sunday is going to be even more fun. I've booked a reservation with the Office de Tourisme to ride in a mini-bus to two chateaux, Azay sur le Rideau and Villandry, two very popular chateaux. So Jane and I will be going together to see these sights. We will visit the remaining parts of the city on Sunday, get some great bites to eat in some wonderful restaurants, and return in the evening on Sunday.

Please do not misunderstand. Jane and I are not dating. We met once at the orientation. That's all... Yes, maybe we're going on a trip that to some may seem "romantic," but hate to break it to you, France is romantic. There's no escaping it. A certain magic and beauty comes with every square, garden, monument, or chateau. And Jane and I will be sharing in that. That may come as a little mushy. Not intended. Just trying to make a point and sometimes my soft side comes through in that. In any case, it will be enjoyable. Perhaps I can fatten up a bit by eating at restaurants the whole time and eating creme brulee desserts. Voila.

No comments:

Post a Comment