23 November 2010

It's getting better with middle school

It's always fun to talk about Thanksgiving, but exceptionally, this year, I am enjoying regaling my students with stories about traditions and other things that are typically American such as football, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and, of course, holiday shopping the day after Thanksgiving. The middle schoolers are getting in on the action as well and enjoy listening to me talk about Thanksgiving and showing them pictures of delicious food. Well, not everyone is enticed by the idea of making pumpkin pie. But you get the picture. Most of them were gawking at the pictures of stuffing, turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, etc. This morning, I even sang a song about Thanksgiving to the tune of "If you're happy if you know it," except it was "If you're thankful and you know it." They're still little kids, so you have to entertain them as such. However, they seemed to have fun. And I felt like I was in elementary school again teaching a song, but whatever, it doesn't matter. It was to communicate the idea of being thankful. The middle schoolers are becoming more controllable. The more I give them things to look at, sing, and do on paper (like exercises, worksheets, word searches, etc.), the more they're likely to participate and, in turn, behave properly. I was very happy to not have any behavior problems today with the sixth graders, and it must have been an answer to my brief prayer before. (Before commencing, I was nervous, maybe a little stressed, and hoping things would go well. Of course, they went fine.)

After lunch (which was very good today as always, salmon, pasta, brownies with glazed frosting (which doesn't do justice to what it really is-- English cream), tiramisu, and a meringue. Very desserty this afternoon, and then a nap. After the afternoon, I went to the boulangerie and bought a pain au chocolat and classic coca cola (which is my personal sugary indulgence on a diet currently). I returned to the lycee with my photocopies at hand and prepared my lesson for the sophomores (secondes). It was my last night to talk to this particular group, which will rotate next week. So we talked about Thanksgiving. I used my PowerPoint from yesterday, showed pictures of the food, showed a Johnny Cash song ("Thanksgiving Prayer"), which was on Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman a while back, and led the discussion. It's funny. For most of these kids, they don't fully understand the concept of "thanksgiving," but they think it's a beautiful thing, with families getting together to celebrate being together, good health, blessings. One of my students tonight said that it seems you would have to believe in God in order to show thanksgiving. Otherwise, who would you give thanks to? I thought this was an interesting insight.

Tonight, I will get recipes together to throw a Thanksgiving for my family here. Sounds ambitious, but I will have some help in the process. Tomorrow, we will go shopping for the ingredients and Thursday will be spent cooking an American meal for a French family. For me, this Thanksgiving has newfound significance, because I feel so indebted to this family for all they continue to do for me, but it's also one in which I can give thanks to the God of the universe who has made my entire incredible experience here in France possible. It's a wonderful thing, and I'm starting to look forward to it with impatience, to use the French phrase.

To those of you in the States and those of you living abroad, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. I hope God will bless you in ways you may have not thought possible and that this holiday will make us all sincerely thankful for the blessings that God gives us each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment