08 November 2010

The busyness becomes even busier and music-making increases

Today was an enjoyable day with my students as I did a music lesson with the TLA, 1ESB, and TESA, that is to say, Terminale (senior) and 1eres (juniors). That probably has to be my favorite level to teach, because I can speak at a deliberate and yet natural rate and the kids are attentive. The students really got into the lesson and enjoyed listening to clips of music. I had promised the TESA students that I would show them the "Prestige" after the holidays. (Of course, that is my excuse to wait since I currently don't have the movie in my possession.) Fabien from the TLA class requested that I play my violin soon for the class, since he loves hearing violin music. So I made another promise to bring the violin in a couple weeks (after we have finished the music lesson). High school classes are going just fine, and I think the students are enjoying my lessons. (I hope so.)

As my header says, the busyness is becoming busier. I joined the classical choir this evening in Evron, a town 20 km away from Mayenne. I rode with a friend from orchestra, who is really the link for me to the group. We rode together with a soprano and classical musician from around the Mayenne area. The choir met at the Ecole de Musique in Evron. I met the director, Annick, who is very kind and welcoming. She gave me the partition (score) of the Schubert Mass in E flat major, a thick score of 90 pages. I was like, whoa, that's quite a bit of music. But apparently, we'll be doing it on the 19th of December in a church in Evron. Lots of music to learn, and yet somehow, it was a pleasure to "dechiffrer" (sight-read) the whole way through. The music is sight-readable in its own way, except in spots with fugues that make the situation complicated. However, I'm loving it. The choir is very advanced and can read music quite well. It was a comfort to be surrounded by fellow musicians who are ready to make music. I'm already looking forward to playing with the orchestra when the time comes.

I'm a busy man, but in reality, busyness invigorates me internally as well as externally. Thank you, Lord, for giving us busy schedules so that we do not grow idle. I'm, of course, talking about the good kind of busyness-- the kind where you truly enjoy the fruits of your labor. That's where the heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment