24 November 2010

My thanksgiving thought: Being single and living in France

It's interesting to note the number of relationships that I have seen budding, break-up, flourish, or become engagement and marriage. I feel very happy for people who find the right person and hope that the bliss of youthful love can continue on and mature into a much deeper love. I've never been in a relationship before, at least not seriously. Sure, I've had crushes on girls. I've even wanted at one point to be in a relationship, but in many ways, I feel God has given me a desire and gift to be single for the moment and perhaps, for the rest of my life. I'm not ashamed of it in any way. In fact, it gives me a reason to smile and thank the Lord for all the wonderful things that singlehood entails. To me as a single man, living life that is pleasing to the Lord is perhaps more important. I intend to live for the true love of my life, Jesus Christ, who loved me with a love that is far greater than any human love could ever be. If I am to remain without a woman, so much the better. If I am to be with a woman later, then praise the Lord, for bringing someone special into my life with whom I may spend the rest of my life. At the moment, though, I'm rejoicing in singlehood for the blessings that I can savor while in France and while preparing my next steps as a future researcher and teacher.

Being single has, in certain respects, brought me to France in a program that is meant for young single college grads. I can't imagine any couple living off a teacher's assistant salary, if it were ever possible. Think about it: I'm spending a year away from my family, home, and native country (as well as native language). And yet, it makes me feel so incredibly happy and blissful in ways that I never thought possible. I've always dreamed of coming to France, and yet, here I am as a single man in a country where I am satisfying my wanderlust to explore cities and regions. I'm even thinking of staying almost entirely in France for the duration of my contract to make the most of the experience. All of this has been possible because of God's amazing plan for this year. And for that, I can't be thankful enough. I mentioned that Thanksgiving means something special to me this year, and I am finding that there are so many things for which I am thankful, including singlehood and France.

No comments:

Post a Comment