08 April 2011

Nothing but happiness

Today is my 23rd birthday, which comes at the right time, at the end of my adventure as I prepare to leave the French Republic. It's been a great time to continue to reflect on my incredible experience and journey. I have to say, I'm just really blessed. It's not luck; it's rather the blessing that the Lord has given me everyday to thrive and flourish in a country that is not my own. I've enjoyed a tremendous amount of freedom and independence that I didn't even know before. And today marks the end of a year in my life that has been nothing but happiness.

Things went okay at the middle school. All of my students were excited and jumping up and down as I told them I would be playing violin for them, a lesson on American folk music, adapted from the high school version. The second group especially went crazy over it, and they were slamming their desks, stomping their feet, even some were attempting to dance. As much as I would have wanted them to be quiet and attentive, it didn't happen. And... I'm okay with it. It was euphoric to just let everything go the last lesson. And I didn't want to ruin it. Even as the energy from my wickedly strong espresso seemed to evaporate from my veins into thin air, it felt good to end on a positive note. And right before the obnoxious bell, it was the sound of "Pirates of the Caribbean." The kids shouted "Joyeux Anniversaire, Jared!" It was a good feeling, knowing that I'm appreciated by everyone at the middle school. All the kids are crazy about me. And I like leaving the middle school, feeling that even if I haven't accomplished anything else, I've earned the respect and praise of French middle schoolers. Quite a feat in the midst of adolescent attitudes.

Tonight, I took the aperitif with Nathy and will redo it tomorrow when Pascal returns from Paris with the collegiens. It's been an enjoyable day. Now on to a busy but relaxing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment