01 April 2011

The beginning of the end or the end of the beginning

Earlier, I wrote a passionate post about my experience as a language assistant. I think I had enjoyed the experience so much then that I was bursting with joy and reaping the benefits from my stay here. That's all great. I've arrived at April, hoisting the souvenirs and learning experiences of this program and ready to fly back. Today, I made the executive decision to return home at the beginning of May, much to the comfort of my family. The time has come to talk of many things, of shoes and ships and ceiling wax... and saying goodbye.

There have been so many amazing opportunities that I have taken up with spontaneity, patience, and endurance. My experience in France has given me a renewed sense of hope and confidence in Christ, knowing full well the direction of my future vocation in language pedagogy and literary research. The year has taught me a number of things that I should mention in list form:

(1) Trust in the Lord at all times, pray unceasingly for guidance and support. I do this as often as necessary, but many times at the college/middle school.

(2) Relax. This one has been a hard one for me, since I am often uptight and serious. Letting go is something I plan to do as often as possible.

(3) Use a sense of humor, taking appropriate risks, to capture the attention and imagination of the audience (my students). This is where my theatre background returns in full force.

(4) Establish rules early on and stick to them so that students will know their limits and will respect my authority (This is one I continue to work on at the college/middle school and one that may not be fully developed).

(5) Have patience with students and restate in simple terms my sentences to promote understanding of the foreign language.

At this point, I've reached a time, where I am ready to wrap up my lessons in two weeks and provide a strong ending to my assistantship in France. Perhaps, I should provide something unforgettable, but again, stress should not be a variable in the equation. I just want to be able to definitively say, it's the end and say my goodbyes to the students at both the lycee and college. This weekend, I plan on reflecting on the possible lessons that could be great. I'm excited about planning ahead for the next steps, having secured my housing situation in Providence, RI.

One great thing prepares to make the transition to another wonderful thing. The symphony of life has multiple movements, and now, I prepare to conclude the present movement with grace and beauty. Pause. And the beginning of a wonderful,long movement follows...

No comments:

Post a Comment