11 April 2011

A Karaoke Party with Terminale students

A couple weeks ago, I wanted to do something special for the terminale students that I see every week, after having seen their progress, attentiveness, etc. So, I decided to throw a karaoke party with them today. Each person brought a dish (a cake, brownies, drink, etc.) and together, everyone shared in the enjoyment of a snack with each other's company. Compatible with the French lifestyle and Americanized. I baked a set of old fashioned sugar cookies that I thought was pretty much a staple of American desserts. (Looked up a recipe online and went with it although messing it up once before getting it right... the mixture of metric measurements as opposed to English system measurements and other factors). Regardless, I was able to make cookies that would be gone at the end of the day.

We listened to various pop songs, most of which the terminale students knew. Everyone enjoyed singing along to Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Diddy, etc. It was an enjoyable atmosphere, relaxed and without any pressure. I felt that these kids definitely deserve it in light of the stress that looms with the Baccaulaureat at the beginning of June. Several of these students will be going to the university next year in areas such as languages, psychology, and business. Others will go to preparatory classes (2 year course of study) for the Grandes Ecoles, which are the most prestigious universities in France (these universities are very difficult to get into and require the highest scores on an examination). I have faith in these students. They're bright and capable of doing good things in their next chapter. They've been such a joy to teach, and I feel as if their presence and attention in class have kept me going through the challenges that have accompanied teaching other groups of students.

My opinion on the rewards system

I plan to offer similar treats to the 1eres at the middle of the week and Terminales at the end of the week. Rewards for good work, such a good feeling. I enjoy giving rewards but only for continued progress and achievement of the select few that put in the work. For the 1eres that I see on Monday morning, I did not reward them. They've given me a big, fat nothing the entire year, and they honestly do not deserve any of my lauding. As much as I've tried to initiate them into a brief conversation, they've responded in talking in French, staring into space, and demanding to leave early every time just for lunch. That doesn't deserve anything from me. And if I were giving them a grade, the majority of the class would get below a C. Average grade: C-. Perhaps, such aspects of my opinions on rewards will carry into my philosophy of grading as a future teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment