09 April 2011

My take on French food: Simplicity with Elegance

I've been in France for over six months now and have yet to give you the scoop (no pun intended) on French food. Personally, I have taken a xenocentric approach to this and feel after months of reflection that the French eat well, really well. Not only that, but they know when to eat and when to stop. Yeah, call them the masters of portion control. Their food is rich and many would say it's hard on your stomach, because it's so heavy with milk, cream, butter, etc. I have to counter that. The French have mastered the art of enjoying food to the extent that being in good company and eating a good meal go hand in hand. And perhaps that counts for something. The French are among the least obese in the world, exercise well, and socialize very well. All of these make for healthy people that have higher longevity than the average American.

Going back to how I ate in America, I think I ate too much of poor quality food that it just made things a bit miserable. I think returning to American food is bound to disappoint me in some ways. In France, I've learned the mannerisms of eating at a French table from where to put things while setting the table to putting my wrists on the edge of the table to using a fork and knife for EVERYTHING and using the left hand to maneuver the fork. I've learned to savor food and to stop at the point where I can no longer enjoy the food. Also, I've learned how to not force food just to become full. These habits I will carry back to America, and I will likely not be eating in the same way as before when I return.

Now to the actual plates themselves: It's best to start with the bread. French use their bread for everything from toast in the morning to sandwiching rillettes (or meat spread) to creating cheese sandwiches with the finest cheeses around (goat cheese, camembert, brie, etc.) They even use their bread to scoop up the remaining sauce and other remains on plates to "savor the last drop" of the food and create a clean plate. Your mother would be proud. (and no, I'm not trying to create a pitch for Maxwell House Coffee) I love French bread, because it's a little slice of the French culture that prides itself on things such as the baguette, pain au chocolat, etc.

Another aspect of French alimentation (food) that is great is the salad. Very, very simple. Just green leaf lettuce and a dab of vinaigrette and you're good to go. That's another aspect of French cooking I enjoy: the simplicity with elegance. The salad can be paired with multiple things. But it remains as it is, a salad without too much fanfare or overkill on the ingredients.

Other things that I have enjoyed while living with my host family: the boudin (pig's blood), which I've mentioned before, saucisson (very finely cut sausages that are delicious and that can be savored with the aperitif), pasta with vegetables, quiche, lasagne, galettes with eggs and jambon (ham), crepes (of course), cidre (which is typical for meals in Bretagne).

Many French things will be easily imported into the United States, but they will cost more there, unfortunately. However, I must say that the kinds of eating habits that I have picked up here can be carried with me as I return. And I am eager to use them, even if people think they are prudish and unnecessary. For the French, food is one of the many joys in life. Enjoying a home-cooked meal can be even more meaningful than going out to a fine restaurant. The sentimental value of food made in a home, to me, has meant so much more than any restaurant could. Food in France comes from the heart. That's such a beautiful thing to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment