26 March 2011

A misfortune that deters my all my weekend plans

My time in France has not been without misfortune. From getting a 30 euro ticket for not composting the right way to being prevented from tutoring an adult student, I think I've become used to the fact that there are many ridiculous rules in France. Does it bother me? Yes, of course, but I can't let it consume me. Am I ticked off in these situations? Most definitely. But then again, I realize that in such situations, I am completely powerless and I might as well be a stoic about it and not let things outside of my control bother me.

Now, moving on to a situation that is both a misfortune and a disappointment. I had my parents lend me some money (my birthday is coming up, so I asked them at the right time) by depositing it into my account. I was unsure when I would get paid. And naturally, that date would fall after this coming weekend. So I played it safe. I tried to withdraw money from my account, but the machine ended up eating my card and saying "Carte capturee" or Card Confiscated. I had no idea what that meant. Just my luck, the Post Office had already closed. So I came back this morning. And the lady told me, "I'm sorry, but I don't have the right to give it back to you. It will be sent to the Carte Bleue headquarters and be promptly destroyed." I replied, "Yes, but it's an international card. What use would they have of it?" She said, "it makes no difference, I cannot give it back to you." So, here I am without my American bank account at my disposal, forced to act quickly and have my parents cancel the account and withdraw the remaining money. Powerless.

To make matters worse, I cannot go to Paris. I don't have enough money in my account. The depressingly low salary that we get as assistants is not sufficient to cover this weekend trip. I had to contact Alex. He is disappointed as well. So, here I am having to sulk in my own tears (maybe not literally) and deal with a dreadful disappointment. Trying to look on the bright side, though. I could have been in Paris and stranded without any means of covering expenses, which could have been far worse.

Anyway, I'm back home, a little shaken up by this affair, and hoping to get the situation worked out with my bank account today.

No comments:

Post a Comment