22 March 2011

And look who's back. (The Doctor is REAL in)

After last week's almost exasperated post, I had to make a comeback as Jared McKee always does. The weekend gave me a time to stew in my own soup, so to speak even after feeling completely unable to handle things with the middle schoolers. I did some reading, relaxing, thinking, and created a set of lesson plans. In the end, I created something that I was truly proud of, because it succeeded on the day that was the make-or-break day, Monday.

Everyone was happy the first day of spring. Exceptionally, the Mayenne saw a beautiful, radiant day with sunshine the entire afternoon and cool temperatures. As I was listening to the Mumford & Sons and Ray Davies duo, "Days/This Time Tomorrow," beaming at the sunlight, I just knew today would be a good day. With my determination to make things so much better this week, I strode with confidence to the lycee for a full day of courses.

It all started well with the 1ESB students, who have constantly been a trial for me as I've searched high and low for something to peak their interest. I did well. I found a song by Jason Deluno entitled, "Whatcha Say," a recent popular song that we talked about a little bit. They enjoyed comparing the song to Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek," which was the inspiration for it. At the end, the kids said that we should listen to Justin Bieber next week. (Can you believe I'm saying I've never even heard Justin Bieber sing??)

For the first group of Terminale students, I was just warming up but it got much better by 3pm with my TLA students. I was filled with a vibrant energy as I talked about St. Patrick's Day with all the fervor of an Irishman. I enjoyed showing them some interesting videos about the holiday and even sharing "St. Patrick's Breastplate Prayer." To top it off, I showed a clip from "Riverdance," to make it even more entertaining.

Between classes, I basked in the sun as I headed down to the bakery to grab a pain au chocolat and cold drink. I felt the invigoration of spring just walking in the downtown part of my provincial town and a sense of growing accomplishment. When the week starts off well, you can't help but smile inside and out.

To top it all off with a cherry, I sustained the energy in my reservoir for the final hour at 17h. Using my silly little humor that I thank God for, I was able to keep the attention of the Terminale ESA students with videos and a written assessment. They went crazy over the Riverdance clip.

I don't like the idea of self-congratulatory affirmation, but I have to say, today showed and reminded me of why I'm here. Teaching has become such a gratifying experience for me as my calling. And that's wonderful.

Un petit mot: I've put my name in to extend my contract through the end of May. I feel that to end my pedagogical projects, I need another month. One of the English teachers has written a recommendation letter for me. This means, in effect, I will leave at the beginning of June. Hoping and praying this works out.
That would mean I would get to sing the Cantata No. 4 by J.S. Bach with Volubilis. If it's the Lord's will, all will work out seamlessly.

As to the rest of the week, I say, keep it coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment