04 February 2011

I let it all hang out. (Je me lâche)

Of course, I don't say things like this everyday. However, I feel that France has taught me something about relaxing and not being anxious or worrying about things. I used to be such a worrier, who dreaded to go to school. This was especially the case in high school when I was socially insecure like every other guy or girl going through the end of adolescence. I feel that for my sanity and health, I need to relax and get out in order to escape from my otherwise constant introversion. I'm finding time to relax even at school these days, for which I can truly thank the Lord. Even as I teach, the self-consciousness of yesterday seems to disappear in the mist that covers the atmosphere over Mayenne. It's a blessing and also an answer to prayer. I think I would have had a heart attack or some other grave health condition if I didn't acquire an ability to relax. Now, I find myself having to calm myself down as I wait for my admissions decisions. It's difficult as I'm dealing with impatience I've taken from probably my father as well as the inability to think about anything else except when I'll find out. Soon it will come, however, and the sooner I try to forget about it, the sooner it will be here.

This week has been rather easy for me by God's grace. I planned my lesson around American folk music, and globally it has been a success for each class that I have had. The students look on to my fiddle-playing with interest and want to ask more questions about Irish American music in the Deep South. I have been able to effortlessly teach about fiddle tunes, Irish dancing, and drinking parties. It's been a blast. And next week, I get to talk about country music to extend the topic to country stars like Dolly Parton and Hank Williams. My heritage at work!

On Thursday of this week, I was introduced to my new students at the middle school. In fact, they are very sweet and kind, albeit talkative. However, their behavior is less of a problem than their level of talking. Thankfully, I can handle these guys a little better. And I actually started my first lesson with teaching as well as an introduction. I'm going to make my middle school course into a conversational class, where the students will learn the practical aspects of simple conversation. That should work well with these kids.

The weekend is finally here and three weeks remain before the vacation. The plan is to be economical and save for the trip to Berlin. Meanwhile, the wait on graduate school continues. Yet,I have high hopes for getting into the right school, whichever God freely chooses for me. How's that for the converted Calvinist?

1 comment:

  1. Good job, converted Calvinist. ;) I'm glad you seem to be at peace about grad school, and about your classroom as well!

    ReplyDelete