18 February 2011

Happiness and Peace continue.

I'm a bit tired at this point. There are days when I really am looking forward to leaving my post as an assistant, especially when working with the middle schoolers. Unfortunately, my collaboration with the main teachers is almost non-existent, making my job further challenging as I basically write the script (curriculum) for my lessons. On top of that, I have to add dealing with sorry attitudes and behavior problems. Last week, I reported two students who were completely misbehaving in front of my eyes. I just have to say, "j'en ai marre" (I've had enough). Today, the secretary came to me with a form asking me if I wanted to renew my contract. I happily said, "no, I will not be renewing as I must return to the United States." Seven months is more than enough time with these students, particularly the four hours weekly at middle school, which require twice as much effort and energy as the 8 hours I have at the high school. Fortunately, I get to benefit from the two-week vacations that happen once every 6-8 weeks. One more week to endure before that, though.

Today, the middle schoolers seemed to enjoy talking about Valentine's Day and making valentines. Some of the boys were giving me their valentines at the end. Apparently, I am a role model for them. Rather flattered by this gesture. Some of them even say I'm like a "god" to them, not that I approve of this status. Still, it makes me happy to be liked by the vast majority of the middle schoolers I see. That's not to say they're all angels; certainly not true. Still, I find it cute when they suck up to me, even when I reject their offers of assistance, etc.

Brown on my mind continues to move me to have even greater confidence and to push farther with my courses. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, knowing where I'm going to be for the next six years. It's very reassuring to know that. I feel even happier in front of my high school students. I haven't told all of them my news yet as they were practicing for the Baccaluareat test this entire week. I'm looking forward to telling them about it and encouraging them to reach for their dreams. This would be especially good for the seniors. I'll see what I can do for them next week that is encouraging, easy, and relaxing after their week of testing.

Tomorrow, I have a three-hour rehearsal much to my chagrin. It will be with all the orchestras of the Mayenne and will hopefully be bearable enough to deal with. It's really nothing in comparison with the slave labor that was "West Side Story" last year. Did I mention that the orchestra for that play did not get one cent of compensation from the hours of involuntary work it was? I guess not, and I won't go into a tirade about it. Rachel V. knows what I'm talking about. Another week at the Reformed church.

And then, next week, I have a little job: I'm going to tutor a young man in conversational English on Thursday morning. He has been looking for an American teacher for a year now, since he began studies with an American teacher who left (unsurprisingly, as the Mayenne is not the most attractive place for young Americans who long for something besides country towns). Should be fun and will give me yet something else to add to my resume.

1 comment:

  1. Heh, oh musicals at Covenant. Did you hear they aren't doing one this year because several main cast members dropped out? Crazy. They are doing a "musical revue" instead.

    Also, I am amused at the image of middle school boys sucking up to you; so great.

    ReplyDelete