14 January 2011

End of the week and some good news

After a week of mishaps, disappointments, and fatigue, I have finally arrived at the weekend. Not that it was a terribly hard week, especially since I only had one class with the 6eme; it's just certain stress and lack of sleep contributed to some misery during week. I had a facebook conversation (not via chat) with several people who gave me some suggestions about handling kids and interesting ideas for lessons. So I listened and decided to do a lesson on songs for the next couple weeks.

For the Wednesday crowd (2 classes with 8 students), they listened to "Imagine" by John Lennon. Good reception. They participated, filled in the gaps in the lyrics, answered questions about the meaning of the songs, etc. They also seemed to like it. My Wednesday classes are among the most sympathetic of my students, since they both listen well and participate. They're 1eres (juniors).

I had a lesson prepared for the Thursday group (Terminale level students), but unfortunately, they mysteriously did not show up. I waited at the newly appointed room, and waited, and then ran to the usual room. No one. I was pretty pissed as this kind of thing has happened to me before. Fortunately, I handled it better than previously with anger and resentment. It was a good lesson: we were going to examine the lyrics of "Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel. Great song (and fortunately, I can keep it for the next week). I had an activity planned with textual analysis and studying the overall picture (meaning). Today, I informed their teacher of this absence of the entire class, hoping that the matter will be resolved in the next week.

As for today, I got up late. I was supposed to be up by 6:35am for an 8am class that I would be assisting for. Last night, I set my alarm, making sure that it would go off at the designated time, adjusting as necessary. This morning, I woke up at 8:20am with the sound of calm, tranquil static from the FM radio transmitter and to the sound of Emilie's, "il faut se depecher" (I have to hurry) talking to the cat that enters my room periodically. And yes, internally and externally, my heart was crying a four-letter word. I didn't expect this to happen, didn't want it to happen, but it happened. And I felt like that four-letter expletive all morning. I texted the teacher that I was going to assist for (we were going to talk about illegal immigration, the new law in Arizona, and the aftermath of the shootings in Tucson), emailed him, and then left him a voicemail message. He did indeed receive the message as I later learned.

So, I went in for the 6eme at the middle school, keeping my lesson simple with the "What's Your News" video lesson with a PowerPoint talking about the hobbies, etc. Fine. In the afternoon, I went for the meeting about England and apologized to Marc E. for what I had done. He said, no problem, I'll come in on Monday, a day when I have class all day, but I can be there. So I'll do it. And I'm going to make sure my alarm clock is faithful to me this time. (I hate that excuse-- my alarm clock didn't work-- it's so lame, yet it happens to everyone).

This evening, I found out some awesome news, that I got a full scholarship to return to Middlebury's French School this summer. I was thrilled to see that I pay NOTHING. I totally feel I should go back, especially since I honestly would not like to spend a dreadful, long, hot, and humid summer in Georgia. Yeah, Georgia is on my mind, but not in that dreamy way... That has been something that has haunted me the past month: what the heck am I going to do with myself until I go to graduate school. Well, it looks like Midd has made the decision for me. I can't wait to go back and take 3 literature courses and enjoy the intellectual stimulation and conviviality. And, it will be a great warmup to returning to the academic world and going off to graduate school. Now I have something to look forward to this summer.

The weekend promises to be fun and relaxing. I'm not going to the Reformed Church just yet (but the next week). It happens once every two weeks in Laval. In the meantime, I'll probably go back to the Evangelical Protestant Church, if once every two weeks, then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment